Recipe derived from The Good Housekeeping Cookbook, post by Juniper Littlefield
One Saturday afternoon me and Rosie were looking for something sweet to make. When we came to this choux pastry wreath, the praline cream and whipped cream were too much to resist. We miraculously happened to have all of the ingredients sitting around so we got some Sherlock Holmes ready for the waiting periods and got to work. It’s not a particularily difficult recipe, but it does take the greater part of a day to make so you have to have some self restraint and not eat it all before it’s ready.
2 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup almonds, chopped and toasted
- heat milk in a heavy saucepan and medium-high heat, until bubbles form around the edge
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg with 1/3 cup of the sugar, and cornstarch.
- Whisk half of the milk mixture into this.
- Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium, whisking until mixture is thick and boiling.
- Reduce heat to low and stir with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour the cream into a bowl, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- To prepare almond praline: grease a cookie sheet lightly
- Combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar and water in a small saucepan
- Boil over medium heat, swirling pan until sugar has dissolved.
- Boil without stirring until amber in colour (5-7 min)
- Remove from heat and stir in almonds.
- Place over low heat until reliquified
- Pour immediately onto cookie sheet and spread with spoon to 1/2inch thick
- Let sit till cool (10 min)
- Break praline into small pieces
- Place in food processor and grind to a powder
- Fold praline into cooled pastry cream
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
- In a medium saucepan combine butter, water and salt
- heat to medium-high until butter is melted and mixture boils
- remove from heat and add flour
- stir until dough is mixed and coming away from the sides
- add eggs one at a time and mix till smooth
- preheat oven to 425F, and grease cookie sheet
- spoon dough into a pastry bag and pipe into a 1 inch thick ring, make a second ring next to this one being sure they touch. Pipe the third ring on top of the two
- once all of the dough is used, smooth the ring with a moistened finger
- bake 20 minutes
- turn oven to 375F and bake until golden (25 min)
- Make several slits in wreath to release steam, and bake 10 minutes more
- let cool completely, and then cut in half horizontally
1 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp icing sugar (plus extra for dusting)
- In a large bowl, beat the cream and sugar until stiff peaks form
Spoon pastry cream onto the bottom layer of wreath, top with piped whipped cream and cover with top layer. Dust with icing sugar.